Saturday, May 29, 2010

Week 8.2

This is the logo sheet for AII, or Amalgamated Industries Inc., a fictional company that sells widgets. AII decided, after its hundreth year, to renew its brand identity. They wanted a newer, updated look, but still wanted to reach back into the company's history. The first new design they asked for was a new logo, and they chose the bottom left logo in the sheet.

The colors were chosen as a reminder of their history: Widgco, the company's former name, had a red ball for the dot over the I in their logo. The shape of the A in the new logo is meant to remind them of the same red dot, due to its mostly circular shape. The eye and small leg were added to distinguish the letter as an A, while still trying to retain the feel of the old logo.

The biggest issue I had with this was the placement of "Amalgamated Industries, Inc." I had trouble finding the most natural placement for it, which led to the variations on the logo sheet. It was necessary, however, to ensure that it was recognized as Amalgamated Industries, Inc.; otherwise, there might be confusion if the logo isn't labeled in some places. But once I had those done, the company made the choice of which to use for me. I agree with that decision, too; any other placement of the text looks a little awkward, so I believe they chose the best design offered.

No comments:

Post a Comment