Friday, June 4, 2010

Week 9.2

This logo was originally an exercise in simplification and stylization for my Digital Illustration class. My chosen animal was a spider, so I drew a spider and worked on top of that, simplifying it and giving it a stylized flair.

Once I had the spider broken down into a logoesque form, I had to choose a company name and colors for the logo. The name was no problem; the Spider Web Design was the first thing that popped into my head, and it stuck. The colors were an issue, though, because I didn't want to use red. I tried many other colors, though, and none of them looked as good on the spider as the red did, so I gave in and used it, making one half of the spider and company name red. The bottom half was left black, because it added weight to the bottom and drew your eye down through the whole logo.

Originally, I wanted to include a spider web in the design, or at least part of one. The teacher dismissed it, though, and I admit that he may have been right. Having that element in the logo may have made it look too busy. As it is now, it's simple and clean, and I think it works fairly well.

No comments:

Post a Comment